November 9, 2011

Tips and Tricks for Thick Locks

So, being a bottled blonde (I am PROBABLY naturally a light brown/dark dirty blonde) I have been plagued with thinning hair. For the last year I have had an obsession with having not only extremely blonde hair, but long thick locks as well. Here are a few tips and tricks for a healthy head of hair and faking a little volume. 

(Thanks for the hair envy Blake; via Pinterest)

1. Wash your hair as little as possible. I was an every day washer and not only does it fade your hair faster, but your hair is more elastic when wet, and you tend to pull out more hairs with every day washing. Try to wash your hair every 2-3 days, or invest in a dry shampoo you LOVE, which I am currently on the prowl for. 
2. If you have damaged hair, apply products. I have had my fair share of dry spells after getting my hair done, and my go-to products for moisture are Aussie's 3-minute miracle conditioner (used every washing) and Moroccan Oil's  leave-in conditioner and oil. I apply the Moroccan Oil products as soon as I get out of the shower and wrap my locks up in my beloved turbi-twist. 
3. Try to wear your hair up as little as possible, and if so use bobby pins or snag free hair ties. I wear my hair up a lot because I am quite active, thus the snag from my Goody hair ties was breaking the crud out of my hair. Thanks to a friend of mine I have entered the world of Emi-Jay's! They are stylish, snag free hair ties and headbands, that leave almost no indent in you hair if you decide take it back down! I know I hate the dreaded black hair tie on the wrist in photos, and this cute colors and design make it look like you are wearing a simple cloth bracelet! Absolutely adore these. Oh p.s. don't sleep with a hair tie in your hair. Always sleep with your hair down, no hair ties, bobby pins, clips, etc. 
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It's the already known rule that I don't need to go into detail about, but drink up ladies. H2O will be your BFF for the rest of your life. 
5. Take it easy on the hot tools and use a heat protector spray if so. I have gotten into the habit of blowdrying my hair and skipping the flat iron. Invest in a nice, big round brush and get to practicing! A blow out can make you look like you have voluminous thick hair instantly. Keep your eye out for a video of my blow dry routine in the near future! Maybe even later today ;) As for heat protecting spray, I have only used Tresemme's heat protector spray, and have loved it, so I have not stepped out of the box just yet! Only flat iron if you absolutely have to. I know sometime I like to style my hair at night to sleep in a teeny bit longer, and sometimes my hair needs some slight reshaping in the morning.
6. Another unsaid rule is to get routine trims. You may think, " I'm cutting my hair and when I need to cut it again it will be back at the length I started at! " Wrong. If you go months or years without a trim, you will have split ends up the ying yang, and instead of having to trim an inch or two to rid your hair of damage, you will be looking at a pile of about 6 inches of hair on the floor. Get your hair trimmed. Healthy hair grows faster.

These are just a few things that I have noticed have helped the overall health of my hair. I may never have the ever so perfect hair that adorns Blake Lively's head, but I sure can try!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin