June 2, 2014

A Much Needed Detox

It goes without saying that technology has drastically improved since the 1990's. Computers are becoming smaller and more compact, and cell phones can nearly be considered a human appendage.

Technology and all the applications that come along with them have reached a point that I am neurotically up to date on my Instagram feed. I know I am not alone on this one when I say I am addicted to my cell phone to some extent. Luckily, I am only an Instagram fiend, seeing that I refuse to give in into the devil that is Snap Chat.

Our generation is so consumed with documenting every moment that occurs in our lives that we are missing out on the things that could have actually happened had we put the phones away. Taking a few photos to document the night is completely acceptable, but how much fun can you possibly have if you are too busy making these "memories" with your phone. Devices have intruded on the genuine interactions we use to have with one another, and those interactions are what makes us normal functioning human beings.

I challenge you to put the phone, tablet, whatever it is distracting you, away. Victor and I have sworn off phones during date nights, and have agreed that we both need to use our phones less. Get involved with those around you. Make memories that make the most of your life.

When all is said and done you may remember the pictures you saw on Instagram, or the text messages you continuously sent, but those will all take a back seat to what matters most. You will remember the people you met, the times you had with them, and all the love and laughter that came along with it.

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin